Thursday, November 19, 2015

TBT: It's a Black-and-White Kinda Day





I'll be seeing black and white today, and probably falling in love. 

By day's end, we could be looking ahead toward the arrival of a new member for induction into the Lovestead Border Collie Nation.

Twas eight years ago about this time of year that the photo above was taken of Brooke, Todd and Kea. 

I'll never forget coming home from an author conference in Southern Idaho to find not two but THREE pups racing around the house and four family members loving every minute.

It was a crazy, lovable scene, punctuated with a few------well, you know what puppies do!

When Willie and Debbie decided to get two pups AFTER my friend Mow had decided on one pup, Annie decided that Mom needed a pup too.

The Slaney family of Post Falls happily sent four BC's our way for distribution. 

So, Kea joined Todd, Brooke and Webster as in this active and energetic circle of "puppy love."  

Two months ago today, we lost Kea.  Hearts were broken, and very sad, frustrating times followed.

To say it has not been an easy fall after the loss of our beloved Kea is beyond understatement. 

After five weeks of daily tears triggered by reminders at every spot where Kea had shared her love with that characteristic wrap-around my leg coupled with her longing, loving look into my eyes----to be followed with "I love you.  You are a lovely dog," I finally regained some control over the sadness. 

Kea rests south of the house in a grave adorned with a potentilla and two lavender plants (given to me by the Viras of Ephrata).

I visit that grave almost every day and assure her that she is a lovely dog, that she is loved and that she is so missed. 

I think Kea would approve and probably second the motion that the joy of the Border Collie Nation must live on. 

Not that it doesn't still with Kiwi.  

She is a very happy 10-year-old, always there on these mornings since I've gone back to cleaning barns, always with a strategically placed pine cone for me to fling out the door and for her to race and grab for the next round. 

Our little Foster is a member of the Border Collie Nation, even though he's an Aussie.  

We happen to love Aussies---both four-legged and two---so of course, Foster can consider himself a naturalized BC. 

Today I will probably start a new chapter in our Border Collie Nation by visiting a home where the humans love their Border Collies as deeply as all other Border Collie humans do. 

You see the problem with Border Collie owners is that they have a hard time shutting up when they want to tell all the wonderful stories about their beloved dogs.  

These same people virtually go ballistic with any and all Border Collie sightings, anywhere in the world or on TV commercials.  

It's a deep love.  

I hope to add another dose of that deep love to our farm and to our family. 

I think Kea will approve.  


1 comment:

Ann Gehring said...

cool!!