Thursday, August 27, 2015

Throwback Thursday and Stuff


I'm thinking it was the Girls State tea back in 1964 when junior girls were chosen to represent the area at the annual leadership gathering in Boise. 

Of course, they received a proper hometown tea to recognize their selection. 

This is also a definite throwback in that today I doubt that anyone's eyes would be closed in the final selected photo.  Also, Marilynn might have looked a little happier.  

Thanks to digital, these days we can avoid such shots and select one with everyone with eyes open and faces displaying proper enthusiasm.

Wonder if any of us come close to dressing like that these days.  Classmates are worried about a dress code at the reunion.  We've done our best to let them know that times have changed and that just about any ensemble will be just fine. 

Below, you'll see the Colburn School, which, I believe, is now owned by a private party. Until yesterday, I had never, in 68 years, been close to the Colburn Elementary where about half a dozen of my classmates attended school way back when.

It's still a lovely building, and I love it when those old schools get to live on, regardless of who's occupying them.  I do feel sorry for my classmates from Farmin and Washington who have to look at pictures or reach back in their memories for images of the buildings that gave them their educational foundation.  

At the bottom:  the Hope School.  I left it there because it goes along with the sequence of eerie sun photos of the lake last evening.  I decided it would be fun to feature some photos of the still-standing elementary schools on our class Facebook site.

So, on the way to take pictures of Hope School, I must have stopped three or four times along the lakeshore to capture the unusual and haunting beauty of hovering smoke.  We've seen all we want to see of it, but it does make for some amazing photographs.

One photo looks like a bush on fire, but it's not.  Just the sun's rays bouncing off the lake behind. 

And, to further explain the "stuff,"  Annie has been posting dozens of photos on Facebook chronicling her first full day in Tokyo.  

She also sent me one as a text message that doesn't want to act like a Jpeg, so I can't feature it here.  I'll simply tell you that, as a frequent restroom patron, I probably won't book a trip to Japan in this lifetime.  

The thought of maneuvering my sore body down into that position on the floor does not appeal.  She texts, "You just have to be comfortable using this."  

I text back:  Oh my! Remind me not to go to Japan.

I might have some problems selecting something from the menu also.  Since she and Robin Hanson have yet to watch me eat sushi, they'll be waiting even longer for me to order the "organ plate" of fresh innards. 

Of course, that could be a good thing.  I could go to Japan and maybe lose some weight. 

Anyway, she's having her usual good time, and her Japanese visit has involved the culmination of two constant goals for visiting countries of the world.  She has found geocaches and the Seattle Sounders flag has enjoyed prominence in yet another worldwide venue. 

On this somewhat dreary day with the endless smoke-filled skies, I actually heard some pitter patter outside my window.  It lasted about 30 seconds as every "downpour" has done this summer. 

They say the weekend might over a more substantial amount.  We'll see. 

Bill, Willie and Debbie have gone to the St. Joe River today.  They just can't get enough of that fishing; plus, it's Debbie's first trip, so I'm guessing the tour guides will be busy.

Lots to do. So, I'll get at it.  Happy Thursday.














4 comments:

Katie said...

Such beautiful photography... Makes me miss home.

Kathy said...

Where's the Lincoln school? Maybe in an earlier blog. It's my alma mater and I'm pretty sure it's yours, too.

Marianne Love said...

Hi, Kathy. Yes, I have a painting of it which was done for my last book cover. Ivan send you a picture if you'd like.

Kathy said...

Yes, I'd love one. I'll send you my address via Facebook messenger and thank you very much.