Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Tuesday Twitterdeedum


I'll bet this old relic would have turned a few heads at this past week's Lost in the '50s parade.  Mighta needed a little work to get it running though.

It resides at the Ray Delay farm in Careywood where the Idaho State Forestry Contest was held last week.  

I think its current resting place amidst the Aspen trees showcases its character.  So, maybe it will stay there a long, long time. 

If cars and trucks could talk about their adventures, I bet they could fill a history book or two. 

~~~~~~
The community said good bye to a treasure yesterday.  And, it was pretty sad to think that so many of us will never get to have another conversation with Maggie Becker, at least on this Earth.  

Maggie of Dover, some folks called her.  Seems a lot of folks in this community knew Maggie. Many of them packed every available space at Coffelt Funeral Home to bid adieu to one fine lady, mother, community activist, friend and babysitter to hundreds.

I was so glad that my daughter Annie got to visit with Maggie at a girls basketball game in Les Rogers Gym over Christmas.

Maggie guided both Willie and Annie from their toddler years until they reached the age when they no longer went to daycare at Patti Howell's house. 

That easygoing, calm manner and genuine warmth so characteristic of Maggie attracted her to countless little children, adolescents and adults. 

Maggie was just one of those people you knew, and you felt like you had known her forever from that first-ever meeting.  Although I don't attend very often anymore, I have always enjoyed going to Koffee Kult with Maggie and the gang.  

She was usually the first to welcome me when I'd show up after a long absence.  Before I'd leave, she'd counsel, "Don't stay away so long."  And, she meant it. 

One of my classmates Judy, also a relative of Maggie's, told me a story last week about meeting Maggie years ago ('60s) when she worked at The Bootery, a downtown shoe store. 

"We were so impressed," Judy told me, "because she was a 'working woman.'"  Times have changed a bit since then.  Lots of working women around, but nothing ever changed over the decades regarding the general admiration of Maggie----for numerous reasons. 

I sat next to another Koffee Kult member, Penny, yesterday.  She's a longtime Sandpoint resident who has said good bye to many of her friends at the funeral home or local churches.

"This one is especially hard," she told me.  I agreed. 

I know that most anyone who knew Maggie has been feeling pretty heart-broken this past week. 

The local paper mistakenly reported last week after Maggie's death that she had served as mayor of Dover.  The minister at yesterday's funeral pointed that out, adding that most people thought of her that way, so why not!

Yup, Penny, you were right.  This one's hard.  Gonna miss ya, Maggie, my Irish friend.  

~~~~~
Today's the School Board Election.  I already expressed my thoughts in a post a few days ago.  So, today, I'll simply encourage locals in the voting districts for today's candidates to get out there and vote for Geraldine Lewis and Joel Molander. 

Some people refer those choices as the "status quo."  Well, status quo is not always a negative term, especially when an entity, such as our school district, is running smoothly and successfully. 

Please encourage folks in the two voting districts to exercise their voting privilege in today's election.

~~~~~

Today will be a planting day for many items in my greenhouse.  I see from the temperatures ahead that we don't have any freezes scheduled in the near future.

Plus, we have finally reached the calendar date when most experts say it's safe to garden. I started gardening several weeks ago and we've already had two or three meals with the results-----last night, the first radishes in a garden-grown lettuce salad.  

So, a few tomatoes, petunias, more pansies and some marigolds will hit the outdoor dirt today.  

Love it!

Happy Tuesday.  VOTE!



No comments: