Sunday, April 26, 2015

Morning along Our Dirt Road














I had a little extra time this morning, so I decided to change my routine a bit.  With camera in hand, I thought about driving to a different area of Selle to take some early-morning photos.

Well, it turns out, I never really got off from our 3-mile long road, 'cept for a short drive down Center Valley Road.

As an aside, my friend and former teaching colleague, Florine, was in the neighborhood yesterday, but she never was able to find our place.  

As I've mentioned before on this blog, those three Center Valley routes do confuse a lot of folks not familiar with this area. 

Quick explanation:  Our short road South Center Valley Road (running north and south) serves as a connector between Selle Road (which runs east and west).  

Once we get to Center Valley Road almost three miles north of our house, we can go left toward HWY 95 or east.  The eastern route features a road running north and south. 

That's North Center Valley Road.  It intersects Colburn-Culver Road and continues to run north for a couple of miles.  

Folks up there go south and north on North Center Valley Road to get to other roads, while folks on South Center Valley Road can go north and south to find other roads.

Got all that!

I was just joking there toward the end of my explanation cuz that's about as clear as it is to anyone driving through our area trying to find someone's home, 'cept for those who live here. 

Anyway, back to our three-mile road.  I drove north on South Center Valley this morning, figuring on taking off from one of those branch roads.

There was plenty of action on either side of the road for my camera, so my allotted time to stay on schedule to get back to read the paper and do the blog ran out fairly quickly as I kept stopping to take pictures. 

Who woulda thunk that a herd of elk was waiting up the road for their morning photo shoot!

I always want a bigger lens at moments like that, but at least I captured their expressions and concern for the invader who suddenly stopped the car and started clicking. 

After taking a few shots, I drove on, figuring they really wanted to cross the road, but Clicking Camera Lady blocked their route.  

"I'll just go up here a ways and then come back," I thought.  "Maybe I'll catch them crossing the road."

But no!  They had already crossed the road and stood behind those bushes in Eldon Bader's field by the time I came by.  Again, they looked back and soon they decided they'd had enough of Clicking Camera Lady.

Meanwhile, Filipowski's herd of Herefords were mainly concerned with breakfast, anywhere they could get it.  Number 204C was gonna grab a bite through the fence, but stopped and posed just for me. 

I also enjoyed the usual morning activities of ducks and geese hanging around water holes and clouds rising to expose the beauty they'd been hiding. 

In the past couple of days, leaf trees have been starting their early spring show, and, of course, that adds a touch of color to the Lockwood place with its lovely old barn. 

Once again, I did not have to go looking very far to experience some wonderful visual moments on a spring morning.  

Soon, the clouds will lift, and the landscape will be bursting with the rural beauty we're so lucky to enjoy every day.

Happy Sunday. 

No comments: