Friday, March 06, 2015

Friends, Former Students and A Levy Coming Up



Thanks, Travis Mire, for taking the photo. 

There are hundreds of local graduates out there just like these folks whose lives, careers and contributions show the time-honored value of a great educational foundation provided by our Lake Pend Oreille School District.  

I look at these three and think also of a never-ending list of former students who are making a significant difference in this world, thanks to the basic skills, work ethic and pride they developed while attending our local public schools. 


Because I enjoyed a wonderful lunch with them yesterday, it seemed appropriate to use Kari, Jim and Jeralyn in this photo----putting faces to the local educational product and meant as a promotional tool for encouraging voters in our district to vote "Yes" in Tuesday's school district levy.


The levy is designed to maintain the status quo for general funding of staff, equipment, programs, maintenance, books, etc. 


The great news about two of these former students, pictured above, is that they're using their talents and their dedication for the betterment of our local students. 

One serves as a counselor (that would be Jeralyn on the right) and one works endless hours as a devoted volunteer who provides tremendous support to the counseling program at Sandpoint High School and to school district programs and activities in general (that would be Kari on the left).

Jim, in the middle, is my brother, an architect, now living in Oregon, who has designed countless buildings ranging from schools to high-end homes to office complexes----even a tasting room for a winery.  He lives in Oregon, but his work can be seen also in several communities around Western Montana.


His drafting class at Sandpoint High School with Ken Beaudoin during the 1980s provided him both inspiration and skills to move on to the University of Idaho College of Architecture. Nowadays, one of his classmates runs that same SHS drafting program.


Jeralyn has tremendous people skills as evidenced by her recent appearance on an Idaho Public TV panel discussing how Idaho students find their direction toward higher education, be it noted liberal arts colleges, the military, technology schools and vocational institutions. 

Many of the skills Jeralyn and Kari use today to benefit our local students were developed during their time spent as students in our district.  We are so fortunate that they, like so many other of our graduates,  return home to provide the same inspiration, motivation and general skills to other generations of local grads. 

In short, these people love Sandpoint, and they want the very best for all students who grow up in this community. 

Our public schools have historically and consistently strived for excellence in preparing local students to enter and to succeed in the big competitive world outside of Sandpoint. 

There's an abundance of proof in the pudding, and, as a former educator who keeps close track of her students and their successes, I can tell you that evidence of that success is nothing short of mind boggling. 

We can be proud that Sandpoint grads are able to reach for the stars and achieve big dreams. 

Their success evolves, in part, from the support they receive through hundreds of volunteers like Kari, professional guidance from school counselors like Jeralyn and through a cadre of excellent, talented teachers, classroom aides and visionary administrators.

I hope that on Tuesday, March 10 voters will continue to support the efforts of our school staffs and, more importantly, the potential for each of our students through a resounding "yes" vote. 

Our students from K-12 and their teachers deserve such an acknowledgement. 

Thank you for voting Tuesday and for passing the word. 



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Marianne! Thanks for the words of compliment to our educators. I, too, have nothing but thanks for many of the teachers in my life. There were times when they probably wondered if i even heard a word they said, but I was listening....some of the time!

I published my first book! It was Zig Ziglar who said that "Most men go to their graves with their dreams still inside them." Well, that first book, a western, was one of my dreams. It took 3-4 years of bits and pieces to write. Interestingly enough, my second has taken about 2 months and is nearing completion already. It is also a western.

I also, yesterday, started my first blog and that is an interesting experience! markherb.blogspot.com. It is called Muddled Meanderings. I like to think I'm still growing after all these years, still learning and I hope to generate discussion and thought myself, as you have with your blog.

Thanks for stimulating my thoughts to the roles of teachers. There are several that I wish I had connected with over the years, to say thanks. Alas, most are gone now. I was able to see Bob Hamilton a couple years before he was gone.

Do you know if Mrs. Dooley is still living?

Gotta run, working feverishly on a scene in my book and I'm really eager to see how they are going to deal with the situation! It's fun to watch it unfold spontaneously!
Mark Herbkersman, Class of '77

Marianne Love said...

Mark, thank you for your nice thoughts, and congratulations on your writing achievements! Looks like I've got some work to do to check it all out. Yes, I'm happy to report that Florine Dooley follows my blog, so I'm hoping she will read your comment.