Thursday, October 16, 2014

To Create a Better Chip

I've got a challenge ahead.  Those potato chips I've mentioned a couple of times?  

I've gotta keep perfecting them, along with learning how to make them more efficiently.

At the present rate, it takes about an hour for me to assemble enough chips, prepared from the microwave baking, to fill half a sandwich bag.

And, my second attempt still had too much of a starchy flavor.  They were better than the first, but they need work.

This challenge has suddenly gone from my "it would be nice to do" list to "it must be done and ready by the time Jeff's movie wins some awards" list. 

Jeff Bock loves chips as much as I do, and he's been monitoring my progress in hopes that he can profit from my mistakes and learn to make his own homemade chips for munching or grazing.

After reading this morning's newspaper, I immediately felt the urgency of getting these chips perfected in time for them to be served at one of the many receptions Jeff is sure to attend once his movie, set in Sandpoint, makes the bright lights of Hollywood.

In all seriousness and chips aside, seeing Jeff's face on the front page of the Daily Bee this morning at first made me think I might be losing my mind.

After all, he lives in Los Angeles.  What would he be doing on the front page of the local paper?  http://www.bonnercountydailybee.com/    The online edition can be read at 10 a.m. PDT. 

Then, I looked a little closer at the front page and realized that Mary Berryhill had written a feature story about the movie he and his friends produced in Sandpoint this past summer.

I may have mentioned in a blog posting a while back that Jeff was inspired to write a screenplay based on a story written by Keith Lee Morris.  It's called "Losing Julia Finch," from Keith's story collection The Best Seats in the House.  

The action unfolds at the Tam, City Beach and Eichardt's, to name a few places. 

Jeff graduated from Sandpoint High School in 1992; Keith, in 1981. Keith is an award-winning writer of short stories (Eudora Welty Prize 2005) and an author of several books. He has taught at Clemson University for a number of years.

Well, since a few telephone calls and emails, earlier this year to connect Jeff and Keith, the film project has reached the editing stages.

I saw Jeff the day before he left Sandpoint after he and his crew had spent a few weeks here filming in various local venues.  He appeared genuinely excited about the movie's prospects----great acting, great scenes and, of course, a beautiful backdrop for a film. 

As his former teacher and friend and having worked with him on a three-year video project, I can attest to Jeff's talents and his vision for producing something extraordinary. 

And, of course, Keith, the author has already proved himself numerous times with some impressive literary awards.  

The bottom line with this whole project is that once again Sandpoint will have reason to be proud of the talented and brilliant people whose roots are implanted in this community.  

I have great faith that Jeff's production, based on Keith's creative mind, will go far in the world of film. 

And, speaking of Sandpoint products doing well in that big wide world out there, once more Sandpoint's Marilynne Robinson, already a Pulitzer prize-winning author, has earned finalist status for this year's National Book Award. 

 http://www.npr.org/2014/10/15/354568850/get-to-know-the-finalists-for-the-2014-national-book-award

So, on this Thursday morning, good luck to the authors and to the film producers.  

Now back to figuring out how to perfect those homemade potato chips. 

Happy Thursday. 

Note:  I had trouble loading this YouTube video featuring an 2009 interview with Keith Lee Morris earlier today.  So, I'll try again.  If it works, enjoy!


No comments: