Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Swooshin' Wednesday


When Mike Hart says, "Get your SWOOSH on," hearts inside little old ladies like mine go pitter patter, and we smile really big and get a wee bit giddy. 

Actually, I maintained a lot more composure than usual yesterday when I spotted one of the ZAGS nicest and hardest working players ever----much more, in fact, than the day I met Viggo Mortensen at his brother's home in Sandpoint. 

Downright goofy, brainless and speechless----that and several other star-crazed adjectives would be needed to describe that day.

In contrast, when I saw big, tall, very good looking Mike Hart walking through the hallway at MacArthey Athletic Center yesterday, I blurted what most self-respecting ZAG-crazed fans would say.

Don't yell it!  Don't scream it! Simply blurt it----my uncharacteristically disciplined brain instructed me as to precisely how to approach this golden ZAGS moment. 

"There's Mike Hart," I blurted calmly, while Abby, the receptionist, former ZAGS volleyball player and coach, lamented that the men's basketball posters were not yet available.

I can't really remember if I suddenly and rudely blew off Abby's news in mid-sentence the second I saw Mike Hart, but she seemed to handle my behavior just fine.

Surprisingly, I'd uttered the announcement of Mike Hart's presence loudly enough that he heard me AND he turned around AND he came back my way.

He had a friend with him AND the friend seemed to know exactly what to do when the old lady at the counter pulled out her cell phone camera.

I did not even need to tell either of them that I wanted a picture with Mike Hart.  As the friend turned on the cell phone, Mike stood beside me, put his arm around me and smiled. 

"I'll take two," the friend said. 

In seconds the Mike Hart sighting and photo op ended.  Aware of my purpose for being there in the first place, I turned back to sweet Abby and our conversation about those posters. 

I have a feeling Abby sees a lot of crazy old ladies like me transform into giddy school girls the minute one of the beloved ZAGS players walks by. 

Oh, I did learn during that brief encounter that Mike, who graduated year before last, does a lot of stuff in his present employment with the ZAGS, and some of that includes "basketball technology."

"It's has a lot to it," he explained, almost apologizing because some people may be thinking "underwater basket weaving" whenever he says he's in to basketball technology.

Not this old lady.  Not this ZAGS fan.  We've all studied our college basketball enough over the years to know that the business of successful college basketball involves a lot more than good athletes. 

If Mike Hart's in to basketball technology, I'm figuring the ZAGS have a good man on board to ensure that their program continues to keep all the crazed fans as crazed and inspired as ever. 

Granted, I'm disappointed that I did not come home with my annual pile of posters to distribute to friends and family, but Abby assured me that she'd do her best to get them to me as soon as possible.

I also learned later, after posting the photo on Facebook, that one of the outlaws in the extended family knows Mike Hart from his days in Portland.  Kirsten posted that he played rec. basketball with her son Tyler.

"What a nice young man," she added. 

Agreed, Kirsten. 

Just in case you can't tell, yesterday's Mike Hart sighting made my day as did the trip to Trader Joe's afterward.  

For dinner last night, Bill and I enjoyed some noodles Alfredo yesterday and those caramel nut cookies and an Angus beef burger, which I picked up cuz I thought it was a frozen burger and bun.  

Silly me.  I had to cook the frozen patty. 

And, finally for my friend Helen.  She likes my maple tree, so I keep taking pictures.  The leaves are falling quickly, but it has definitely put on a phenomenal show this year (as seen below). 

We were supposed to have a yucky, rainy day today, but so far morning skies were filled with stars and no clouds.  It's beautious, to say the least.

Hope it lasts.  Happy Wednesday.  And, ladies, GET Yer SWOOSH On.  Ya never know who you'll meet up with when you do!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stunning! Thank you! I wish we had room for one more tree on our lot but alas.... will just have to continue to enjoy yours. Helen