Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Tuesday Twitterdeedum





I had some surprise visitors yesterday.

My lawnmower repairman Tony truly did surprise me when I walked out of the barn.  I hadn't heard him drive up, nor did I hear him fire up the lawnmower to drive it toward his van for an oil change.

Mentioning Tony's van requires an attempted description of its innards.  

Let's just put it this way:  if the reality show circuit offered a series on "How Much Stuff You Can Stuff into a Vehicle," Tony would be guaranteed his moment in the spotlight.

Yesterday, Tony couldn't find his thing-a-ma-jig that fits around something related to oil changing--it's that thin band of round metal with a handle.  Looks like a can opener to me.

Anyway, he was frustrated cuz he couldn't located it amidst the heap of four million fix-it items that really should cascade to the ground whenever he slides open his side panel door.

I've got loaded cupboards of spices and flavorings that never behave that well.   

Anyway, I don't know how all that stuff of Tony's stays put, but it does.  It took Tony a moment or two to spot the thing-a-ma-jig right at the front and on top of the pile. 

During my commentary, wondering how he finds anything in that van, Tony told me he'd cleaned it out twice already this year.  Just dumps the complete inventory out onto the floor of his shop and reorganizes.

Anyway, after Tony found his tool, he changed the oil in the new lawnmower but not before asking, "Whad' you do with this headlight?"

That was the one hanging from its socket and, according to Tony, probably rubbing against the tire all the time I'm mowing.

"Oh, that happened about two weeks in," I reported. "I just left it cuz I never mow in the dark anyway."  

That revelation probably came as a surprise to Tony who knows he's guaranteed work every year from the Mowing Queen of the North.

"Whad you back into with this bag frame?  Where's the rest of it?" he asked. Only one rod remained of the three that usually stick out behind me when I mow. 

Well, I had quick answers to both queries:  the cottonwood clump behind the barn, and the frame is out by the other lawn equipment.  

Tony put the hanging light up on a level spot behind the mower seat and loaded up the broken frame, adding one more item to the heap inside that van.  

He'll fix the frame and bring it back to me, that is, if he can find it in his van.

Tony was about to leave when a bright red Hyundai pulled into the driveway.  People were waving, and I was wondering who came to visit me from Oregon.

Turns out two sisters (two former students) and their mom were riding in that rental car. Theresa (a faithful 'Slight Detour' reader) and her sister Elizabeth came to town to visit their mom Sally.  

They decided to take her for a drive, and she wanted to go north.  So, of course, that meant Googling Marianne and finding out where she lived north of town. 

We had a wonderful visit.  Sally got to see the horses, and the daughters got to pet Lily, who was a good Lily for her visitors.   That's how it is when company comes.  Even horses put on their best behavior.

Twas a great afternoon with my surprise company, and my lawnmower is good to go until the next oil run or until I run into something and break something really important.  

Tony's always ready to bring that van full of stuff out to my house cuz he can count on a profittable fix-it job.

Later yesterday afternoon, after I let dogs out of their run, Mr. Foster must've worn himself out, playing with the big blue ball.  

So, it was nap time for the little guy.

And, this morning Miss Percheron, my morning friend in Gary Finney's field, must have heard about yesterday's double-fun fawn photo shoot and felt a little jealous.

So, she set herself up in the corner near a nice rustic fence and posed for me.  I did have a camera too. 

No running back to the house this time.  

A great morning so far, and there are beans and blueberries to pick.  I love when pickin' and grinnin' season which comes every year about this time.  

We're entering the height of it right now, and it all tastes good!

Happy Tuesday.  

No comments: