Friday, March 02, 2012

Zap Day with Zavala

I'm hoping I wrote the check correctly this time.  
My newest hairdresser, Sally, commented on my last visit that the bank HAS BEEN cashing all my checks written to her in spite of the fact that I had assigned her a new last name when she started doing my hair last summer. 
Funny thing is I know Sally too.  Just had her last name wrong.
It's probably a Freudian thing since she's the third in a line of zappers.  
Joyce started me out several years ago at the Hair Hut that summer day when my sister Laurie looked at my graying head and  said, "Marianne, it's time." 
When Joyce died a couple of years ago, Kelly, her partner, took over.
Then, Kelly up and retired on me last May.
She assured me that the new lady who would be taking her place did a nice weave (whatever that is, I thought).   
Turns out I had known Sally at Sandpoint High School as Sally McLaughlin.
Since those days in the '80s, though, Sally had met Joey and married him.
I never really cued in to her married name cuz she was just Sally to me.  
The checks, up until today's,  have been assigned to Sally ZAPata.
Surely a lady who zaps your hair could be named ZAPata, right?
Well, not.
I think it's Zavala, and I'll find out for sure today after my latest ZAP. 
Sally's been trying to get me to do one of her spray-on tans which involves taking far too many clothes off IN FRONT OF SOMEONE ELSE. 
I don't do that.
Sally says if I don't take a bath for a while the tan can last two weeks.
I may be a klutzy farm girl who plays in the dirt, but I do take a bath every single day---with nobody looking, of course.
My cousins still haven't forgiven me for adamantly refusing their kind offer to purchase a massage session as a gift for my 60th birthday.
No way, I said.  I'm just too modest.
I'm one of those hyper modest souls who went skinny dipping once at midnight with a bunch of friends and blushed the whole time, knowing someone was surely looking at me.
Never went skinny dipping again.
So, when Sally asks me again today if she can give me a spray-on tan, she knows the answer in advance.  No harm in trying, I guess.
Anyway, today is Zap Day, and on this first Friday in March, there are hints that we may be past the worst of this week's winter blast.
CHEEEEEEEEZEburger birds were serenading from all corners of the Lovestead this morning.  I told Bill that was a sure sign that spring, at least, wants to come.
No new snow overnight, just a crispy-looking landscape with frost on all the trees and shrubs and a slight crunch to the snow as I walked briskly to the barn.
The lane made for nice walking after being cleaned out from yesterday's plowing (I even got the tractor stuck after amassing too big a pile of thick, gluey snow with the blade).  
After turning around to head back to the barn this morning, I wished that I had brought the camera.
Old Annie Dog limping along side by side with Jonas cat---it cut quite a scene of a couple of unlikely pals coming to join in on the morning stroll.  
Annie was enjoying herself so much, I turned around and walked the lane again.  On the next turnaround point, the herd had grown.  
Half the Lovestead menagerie was coming my way, with Kea focusing on Jonas and Kiwi just joining the crowd.   
For Lovestead patrol dog Kea, Jonas simply added a new task to her herding chores.
Great scene, to say the least.
As I type, Bill is sitting downstairs calling up commentary on the two doves that landed on  bird feeder post.
"Both are eating at the feeder now," he just told me.
Looks like my camera has missed out on some good stuff this morning.  
Darn.
The day is young, though,  and I'm sure many great images will unfold with every hour.  That's just how it is here on this place.  So, I don't think I'll run short of opportunities to snap some photos. 
I'll leave you with a couple of shots taken Wednesday when a brilliant sun came out after our morning blizzard. 
Happy Friday to all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That snow is beautiful - but brrrr. It is 85 here right now in Orlando! It seems that our summer is starting early :-)
Julie / Orlando

Big Piney Woods Cats said...

I wish all the cats at the shelter could find good homes like yours!!! I wish.......I wish......and as my mom used to say "if wishes were horses, then beggers might ride."

Happy Saturday

Toni