Friday, July 20, 2007

Good bye to one of my PAL Z

I heard the news yesterday from my friend Connie. One of my PAL Z had died in a work-related fall. Andy Harvey's picture appears twice in today's morning paper---on the front page in a story about his accidental death at a local furniture warehouse. He apparently fell and hit his head. On the back page is Andy's obituary with that same picture. He was 25.

I haven't looked at the online memorials for Andy yet, but I'm betting that everyone's memory of him will reflect the same basic impression---a nice, responsible, caring young man who always did his best. Andy was gifted with goodness. That's how I'll always remember him because that's what he showed me every day that I knew him.

I first met Andy when he came to my English class out in the portables behind the middle school. I had quit teaching for a semester and then returned to a classroom in the hinterlands, far away from the main Sandpoint High School. That was the era of the school shootings. We had bomb threats during that time, and sometimes the office folks would forget to tell us in the portables to evacuate.

Things were really crazy in the schools for a couple of years, both nationally and locally. Schools seemed to be in constant uproar, often because of kids that felt left out or bullied. Something had to be done to create a more positive and safe school climate.

That's where the PAL Z came in, and Andy came in as a perfect choice to be a member of PAL Z. I proposed a class where students from all walks of life could meet each day, gain understanding of the groups within the school and attempt to do something to keep kids from falling through the cracks.


After getting the go-ahead, I began selecting a kids from diverse groups. They were leaders based on the influence they had on others and on their willingness to make a difference in the school atmosphere. I selected Andy because he was polite, he cared so much about others and he was always willing to go the extra mile carrying out his responsibilities for me or anyone else. I don't think Andy had a prejudicial bone in his body.

Once chosen, the group needed a name, so I came up with Peer Assistance Liaisons (altering the spelling of Liaison to Liai zon) translating into the acronym PAL Z. That Z gave it a certain ring that seemed appropriate for the flavor of the group. We were fortunate to have received a grant for our first year of operation, thanks to the help of my friend Ann Knapp who worked in the district office at the time.

PAL Z did make a difference in Sandpoint High School, and PAL Z made a difference for the kids within the group. We learned together---conflict resolution, ways to stop altercations in the hallways, ways to make kids feel included. Whenever a new student checked into school, one hour of the first day was spent in PAL Z class where individuals provided a warm welcome and a tour around the school. The kids loved doing this, just as they loved wearing their shirts and helping out with assemblies. Their presence was noticeable, and their work was effective.

Andy Harvey was especially proud and happy to be one of the PAL Z, and he took his work very seriously. Who couldn't love Andy? People were important to him, and he maintained his friendships. I saw Andy two or three times after he graduated from high school. He came out to our house to update me on what was happening with his life. He spent some time at a Bible College in Boise, then came back to Sandpoint.

The last time I saw him Andy had signed on at Litehouse, Inc. He was very proud of his job and his wages. It looked as if Andy was on his way. Sadly, an accident has taken an angel from our midst. Andy exemplified goodness in every way.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to know this young man, and I'm sure I'm not alone. I'm gonna miss my PAL.

No comments: