Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Where's my mocha?

I just sent the following message to Nestles, maker of the Coffee-Mate Latte Creations Mocha.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For the past month, I've gone to every grocery store in our area looking for Coffee-Mate Latte Creations--Mocha flavor. All I ever find is vanilla. Have you discontinued the mocha flavor? This is the best latte flavor I've ever tried.

I've liked it so much, in fact, that for the past year or so, I always buy ahead, making sure I have at least four or five containers in my own grocery stock. I'm now down to my very last Coffee-Mate mocha latte creation and am hoping that there's some way I can still get more in the future. Please let me know what's going on. I hate it when I find a product very much to my liking, only to have it discontinued.

Maybe there's good news from your corporation. If need be, I'd even order straight from you, just to ensure a continuation of my mocha supply. I've tried other brands, but nothing comes close to your mocha combination.

Thanks for responding--hopefully with good news about the mocha flavor. Marianne
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've griped enough around the house that Bill suggested writing to the website. That last container of mocha sits on the counter and reminds me every time I walk past it that dark days lie ahead if Nestles has discontinued my flavor. I never was a latte drinker until after I retired; now I'm addicted.

The latte moment is one of the great times of the day for me. I've finished the early-morning chores, have maybe vacuumed the house, and it's time for a break. My break from the work routine includes that mocha latte and a daily telephone visit with my mother. The latte just hits the spot because it's so smooth, not too sweet, not too flat.

As mentioned in the note to Nestles, I've tried other brands, with no satisfaction. In fact, there's a fleet of latte containers lined up on the counter near the coffee maker. All remain full except for the spoonful or two used for my taste test. This need to find a substitute is getting expensive, to say the least.

The same thing happened a couple of years ago when Litehouse had the audacity to change the recipe in their honey mustard dressing. I loved the original and have learned to like the most recent variation. In fact, my honey mustard addiction is a bit like my habits with the mocha lattes and the Meadowbrook French vanilla ice cream. Buy up. Stock up, cuz ya never know when they're going to discontinue.

The only problem comes when you get to that "last" container. Now that I'm there with the mocha, I'm being real careful to save what's left for special occasions when I really need a fix of the "real stuff."

This probably sounds pretty crazy to most folks out there, but a favorite latte, ice cream or honey mustard flavor ranks right in there with one's favorite pair of jeans or comfortable shoes. Access to any means all is right with the world, and when they're no longer available, something's definitely missing and life just gets out of synch.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Nestles will make my day and tell me they've got a storehouse full of those mocha creations just waiting for some nut like me to order a big supply. Till then, I'll keep experimenting. I'm thinking that if I buy the vanilla creation and get a big jug of chocolate syrup or Nestle's Quik to mix in, maybe that will replicate the flavor I've grown to love so much.

Stay tuned.

Update:
June 20, 2007


Dear Ms. Love,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us about NestlĂ©® Coffee-mate® Latte Creations Mocha. We welcome questions and comments from loyal consumers such as yourself and appreciate this opportunity to assist you.

The product you are requesting has been discontinued and is no longer being produced by our company. The average sales volume across the country was not great enough to justify space on the retailer's shelves. We regret your disappointment and encourage you to try another product from our family of fine foods.

At Nestlé, we are dedicated to you and your family throughout every phase of your lives. Your feedback is valuable to us, as it helps us to improve our products and services. We will report your comments to our Marketing personnel.

We appreciate your interest in our products and hope you will visit our website often for the latest information on our products and promotions.

Sincerely,
Annmarie Kratz
Consumer Response Representative

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will look for you here in Oregon. Does Sandpoint have any Pepsi Vanilla? It's been six months since I found any on the shelves here.

MLove said...

Gosh, I'll check the next time I go to the store. Thanks for your help. If you're a brother, would you do a special delivery?

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for retirement.....

Anonymous said...

Special Delivery it will be.

Class of 63

Anonymous said...

oh Marianne, I am so sorry. I am one of those evil girls who bought up all of the vanilla and made your mocha be discontinued! Love, Betsy

Word Tosser said...

Ok, write back to her.... and tell her ...since they are not making it any more.... could they tell you the portions of what to mix to come up with the same flavor.
We ran into this over at Costco. There was a herbal cheese shaker, and they discontinued it. So I wrote back and asked the question AND THEY wrote back the portions... so I make it myself...
Got nothing to lose..

arebella said...

There is always ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Nestle-Coffeemate-Mocha-flavour-Latte-Creations_W0QQitemZ4454730656QQcmdZViewItem

Hope this helps your fix!
Angie

John B said...

I ahve the same problem. Everytime I find a product I really lik, they discontinue it.

Maria said...

I am in the same boat as you are! Walmart was always running out so I turned to Amazon and bought 2 cases! They still have a couple of cases on back order for me since... I live in St George, Ut. At first I thought, this isn't a coffee drinking town, maybe that is why I can't find it. The trick to finding some is to stop by the mom & pop stores. My husband went to Boise last week & found 2! It is going to be our weekend treat!

Anonymous said...

We are also down to our last Latte Vanilla. We searched everywhere and can't locate anymore. Well, that's not true. I did find some in the UK, but with shipping included it was almost $11 each! OUCH! Help anyone!!