Thursday, March 30, 2006

Book news


This morning, I have two announcements regarding books. I've known about both developments for a week, but all that other news has gotten in the way. In a nutshell, two books of interest to Sandpoint readers (I hope) will be hitting the stores in 2007.


I learned about one of these last Thursday in a note from award-winning novelist C.J. Box. Look him up. I think you'll find several titles to his credit. Here's what he had to say in a note written to a lady I don't know, to Roley and Janice Schoonover, owners of Western Pleasure Guest Ranch, and to me.

Dear Marianne, Roley, Janice, and Karen:

I know you probably think I fell off the face of the earth after
visiting with you a couple of years ago while researching the novel set
in North Idaho, but actually I've been working on it between projects.
I finished it the end of January.

I'm pleased to announce that today we received an offer from St.
Martins Press in NYC to publish the book which is called BLUE HEAVEN.
Several publishers were interested in the novel (including Putnam,
Random House, Simon & Schuster, and FSG) and there was an auction, with
St. Martins coming in the with biggest and best deal. Although it's
still too early to say for sure, it appears the novel will be published
in the fall of 2007.

I met C.J. a couple of years ago when he came to Sandpoint to do research for this book. Michelle at Vanderford's sent him my way, and after Bill and I dined with him at Jalapenos, we sent him on to Roley and Janice for more information. He left us a couple of his books, which feature a Wyoming law officer. There's always a touch of information about environmental concerns in his stories. He tries to strike a balance while telling a good story.

My second announcement concerns progress on my own book Lessons with Love. Look for it early next winter in January or February. A meeting with Chris Bessler, owner and publisher of Keokee Creative Group last Wednesday ended in a handshake and an agreement to work together on the collection of tales about my teaching career at Sandpoint High School. My sister-in-law, Mary, has returned the preliminary edit, and when I get some time, I'll be revising.

In this book, readers can expect balance also----maybe a bit uneven---about three quarters humorous and one quarter poignant/serious/straightforward. After all, teaching is not ALL funny, but I can guarantee several stories that follow along the same type of humor readers have seen in the first two books. There's also a story, penned by my son William E. Love III, dealing with the slow maturation process that often keeps young men from reaching their potential "on schedule" and their parents tearing their hair out.

I'm excited to be working with Chris and Mary. Chris, who was taking off for a month of rafting the Colorado River, appeared excited too. Of course, I don't know how many visions of whitewater were clouding his thinking. Guess we'll see when he gets back.

So, there's the news from the literary front. I'll keep folks posted on more specific information as it falls into place.

Have a great Thursday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Marianne, on your book deal. I'm looking forward to doing my part to help promote readership in California.

Cheers!
Margaret

Word Tosser said...

Bravo!!! I can hardly wait for it to come out.
Then I can read it and put it with my other two. yes, I am a fan... lol

Roulette Bets said...

Instead of criticising advise the problem decision.